Hi 👋, I am an interdisciplinary researcher at the University of Mannheim (Germany) at the Data and Web Science Group working at the intersection of Natural Language Processing and Computational Political Science.
🎓 I hold a master degree in Computer Science (2018, with a minor in Philosophy) and a master degree in Political Science (2019) from the Technical University Darmstadt (Germany). 🐾 During my studies, I spent a semester abroad 🇨🇭 (2016/2017) at the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich as a special student and research assistant at the Computational Social Science lab (ETH Zurich, Switzerland). Before my PhD journey at the University of Mannheim, I worked as a researcher in Natural Language Processing at the UKP lab (Technical University Darmstadt, Germany) (2018-2021). During my PhD, I was also a visiting researcher 🎒 at Cologne Center for Comparative Politics in 2023 and I will join the junior research program for a research visit at GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences in 2024.
👥 Besides research I am an academic coach. I have worked as a certified writing coach ✍️ at the Computer Science writing lab University of Hagen (Germany) and the SchreibCenter at the Technical University of Darmstadt. Since 2020 I am also a qualified stress management trainer 🧠 (DADeSp, Technical University Darmstadt, 2020) with focus on the academic and university context. As part of my support for the FirstGen initiative ArbeiterKind, I conduct free open time and stress management workshops.
- 30.11.2023 discussion paper on “Responsibility & Academic Writing in the Age of AI” (German) w/ Sarah Brommer, Jochen Berendes, Ulrike Bohle-Jurok, Isabella Buck, Katrin Girgensohn, Ella Grieshammer, Carina Gröner, Franziska Gürtl, Christina Hollosi-Boiger, Dagmar Knorr, Anika Limburg, Margret Mundorf, Nadine Stahlberg and Erika Unterpertinger
- 20.-24.11.2023 attend the 7th Oxford Berlin School on Open and Responsible Research autumn school @ University of Oxford (UK)
- 8.11.2023 “Stress & Time Management for Students” giving a workshop @ ArbeiterKind for FirstGen Students (online)
- Oct 2023 a learning module on “Open-Source Language Models” for higher education @ KI Campus, prompting lab (online)
- 4/11.9.2023 co-organizing a workshop on “AI-Assisted Academic Writing” @ UHagen (online)
- 18/19.9.2023 Talk on Populist Rhetoric @ 6th Monash-Warwick-Zurich Text-As-Data Workshop (online)
- 18.9.2023 co-organizing the third workshop on Computational Linguistics for Political and Social Sciences w/ Gabriella Lapesa, Theresa Gessler, Valentin Gold and Simone Ponzetto @ KONVENS 2023 (Germany)
- 29.8.2023 Talk on “Whitebox instead of blackbox - a plea for minimum standards and open language models in the writing process and in writing guidance” @ Learning AID 2023 [Slides]
- March-July 2023 co-organizing a 🌱 spring term speaker series on text-as-data @ tada.cool w/ Nicolai Berk, Clint Claessen and Verena Kunz (online)
- 13.7.2023 Workshop on “AI-Assisted Programming (for Researchers)” at Cologne Center for Comparative Politics
- 5.6.2023 Talk during my visit at Cologne Center for Comparative Politics on “Towards modeling populism in text w/ NLP”
- 5.5.2023 Poster presentation w/ Ines Rehbein and Simone Ponzetto “Our kind of people? Detecting populist references in political debates” @ LaTeCH-CLfL 2023: The 7th Joint SIGHUM Workshop on Computational Linguistics for Cultural Heritage, Social Sciences, Humanities and Literature (EACL 2023)
- 14.4.2023 Lightning talk w/ Sarah Wagner, Ines Rehbein, Simone Ponzetto and Marc Debus “How parties frame the Covid-19 pandemic: an analysis of press releases” @ 80th Annual Midwest Political Science Association Conference 2023 (Chicago/online)
- 29.3.2023 “Transformer-based Language Models” giving a workshop @ Methods Bites, MSEZ, UMannheim (Germany)
- 20.01.2023 Paper on Our kind of people? Detecting populist references in political debates w/ Ines Rehbein & Simone Ponzetto accepted 🥳 at The 17th Conference of the European Chapter
of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL 2023 in Findings)
- 22.12.2022 Interview on analysing social and political phenomena w/ NLP @ DWS, University Mannheim (Germany)
- 18.11.2022 “Stress Management for Students” giving a workshop @ Writing Night, FernUni-Hagen (Germany)
- 18.11.2022 “Personal Academic Writing Challanges” panel discussion @ Writing Night, FernUni-Hagen (Germany)
- 15.11.2022 “Scientific Writing for PhD students” giving a workshop @ UMannheim (Germany)
- 24.10.2022 “Machine Learning Lifecycle and Standards for Transparency and Accountability” giving a talk @ Technical University of Munich (Germany)
- 07.10.2022 “Towards measuring populism from text” giving a talk @ TADA 🪄, 12th Annual Conference on New Directions in Analyzing Text as Data (Cornell Tech, NY)
- September-December 2022 co-organizing a ☃️ winter speaker series on text-as-data (2022, September-December, Tuesday 5-6pm CET, online) w/ seven amazing speakers from around the world!
- 12.09.2022 co-organizing the second workshop on Computational Linguistics for Political Text Analysis @ KONVENS 2022 (Germany)
- April-July 2022 co-organizing a speaker series on text-as-data (2022, April-July, Tuesday 5-6pm CET, online) w/ eight amazing speakers from EU & US!
- 20.06.2022 Paper on Second-level Agenda Setting in Parliamentary Debates accepted at ParlaCLARIN III: Workshop on creating, enriching and using parliamentary corpora (LREC 2022)
- 24.05.2022 “Populism Detection and other ways of working at the intersection of NLP and PolSci” giving a talk @ University of Zurich (Switzerland)
- 03.05.2022 “ML lifecycle and the democratization of ML” giving a talk @ Technical University of Munich (Germany)
- 04.04.2022 “NLP methods and PolSci applications” giving a workshop @ University of Tuebingen (Germany)
- 25.02.2022 “Challenges in Automatic Populism Detection” invited workshop @ Bocconi University (Italy)
Page design by Ankit Sultana